Creating Algae has been a tremendously rewarding experience. I started on it because, having worked on Turn-O-Phrase and LinkPeelr, I have grown very fond of Google App Engine but very weary of re-inventing the boilerplate from scratch every time. I hesitated to jump to a brand new project knowing that the first couple of days (that’s couple of weeks for us weekend warriors) would be spent copy pasting and adjusting defaults.
I started working on Algae in March, and back then it was primarily about scratching my own itch. Since then, I got to thinking that there might be others, constrained by time, and frustrated by the lack of subjectively good boilerplates for Google App Engine, who hunger for a saner and smoother start to their Python projects.
At that point I started thinking of Algae as something that coule benefit the community at large. I even went so far as to create a Skillshare course around it, but that’s another story. Continue reading